Pierside Kitchen

With the exception of Ernie, I don't meet up with my friends very much. Although I see Lips once a year on average, our friendship remains the same. It's been almost 2 years since we last caught up, so a dinner date was long overdue. Despite the busy schedule, we arranged to meet after work. We couldn't really decide where to have dinner, but we knew we wanted somewhere quiet and cosy to talk. We walked to One Fullerton, talking the entire way, and chanced upon Pierside. It was perfect. The upscale bistro had an unintrusive and quiet atmosphere, most diners were talking in low tones.

Pierside serves modern European cuisine. The menu is decidedly small, focusing heavily on the seasonal's best so their menu changes fairly frequently.

We shared a starter, the Hokkaido Corn Chowder ($15), with a grilled corn on the cob slathered with cardamon smoked butter. The soup was alright, but rather uninspiring. The grilled corn was juicy enough, and I liked the cardamon, but it can't beat Chili's version.


The amuse bouche was a Cod Fish Soup, which I didn't like. It somehow reminded me of cod liver oil. I didn't finish the cup for that very reason.


The Bread Tray was fluffy, aromatic and warm, with softened butter on the side. The downside is that you'll have to ask for olive oil separately.


I was craving risotto, so I got the 300 Day Grain-Fed Braised Beef Cheeks ($35), served on top a bed of savoy cabbage and burnt onion risotto. This was divine.The beef was sticky and sweet, but could have been a teeny weeny bit more tender. But the risotto was absolutely delicious, it was creamy, cheesy, but it was also light-as-air. I couldn't get enough of this. The only gripe I had is that the portion was way too small for me.


Lips had the Cappellini with Brown Shrimp ($24), with crougette, kombu (kelp) and freshly shaved bottarga (cured fish roe). The pasta was al dente enough, but I didn't take to the "shrimpiness" of the dish. It was literally a taste of the sea. It tasted as if a fisherman took whatever was left at the bottom of his net and cooked it all up. This dish is strictly reserved for shellfish lovers.


Lips was craving chocolate, so we shared the Valrhona Chocolate Fondant ($15), with vanilla bean ice-cream. This was very rich and very indulgent, but also very small. Even so, we struggled to finish this. She's a small eater, and chocolate (sometimes) gives me headaches.Yes, you heard right. I can only eat chocolate when I have a "chocolate mood".


Pierside Kitchen
Unit 01-01, One Fullerton
1 Fullerton Road
Tel: 6438 0400
Open Mondays to Fridays from 11.30am to 2.30pm for lunch; Mondays to Thursdays from 7pm to 10.30pm for dinners; Fridays to Saturdays from 7pm to 11pm for dinner.
Website: www.piersidekitchen.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Tian Tian Seafood Restaurant