Grandma's Restaurant, Paragon

I was asking Beeps if I should cut my hair short, and The Boss, who'd overheard my question, immediately chimed an emphatic "NO". In the end, I still cut my locks off anyway. After our haircuts, the BF and I went next door to Paragon for dinner at Grandma's Restaurant. The BF misses eating at Madam Kwan's in Kuala Lumpur and this restaurant is the next best alternative this side of the causeway.

We got the Beef Rendang ($9.80), which was meltingly tender and moist. The nutty fragrant rendang paste was really luscious. This was one of the best versions of the classic Indonesian/Malay dish I've tried.


We also ordered the Curry Chicken ($12.80), which was exceptional. The rich creamy gravy was aromatic, spicy and utterly addictive. We practically licked the plate clean. It was a huge portion, with 4 large chicken chunks, so you're really getting your money's worth.


The Cantonese Noodles ($8.80), also known as Hor-Fan at most cze char places, was similarly huge. The gravy was eggalicious, the seafood (squid and prawns) was fresh, and the noodles had the requisite "wok hei". This was a very good rendition of the local classic.


For fibre, we got the Xiao Bai Cai Stir-Fried with Garlic ($6.80), which was simple but well done. I liked that the chef had used a very light hand with soy and salt. I'm a little confused though, we ordered xiao bai cai but doesn't the picture below show kailan instead? We checked with a waitress but she confirmed that this was xiao bai cai, not kailan. However, I could have sworn that this vegetable is kailan. Could someone please clarify?


A special mention must be given to our waiter, who was very earnest. He was like an Energizer Bunny on Redbull. He would appear at our table a split second after our hands were raised, and served us with such sincerity. We really liked him.

Grandma's Restaurant
290 Orchard Road
#B1-42, The Paragon
Tel: 6737 7931
Open daily from 11.30am to 10pm

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi, it is definitely xiao bai cai.
Anonymous said…
came across your blog from law gazette and yes that's xiao bai cai.
Bern said…
Thanks for visiting and your comment! I so need to go learn how to differentiate all the veggies at the wet market.

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Tian Tian Seafood Restaurant