This was inspired by the green beans we had at Bistro du Vin, but brightened with lemon zest, and a little more wilted because I love my greens limpy and soft. The key here is to use the best French butter money can buy, because it'll make all the difference for a silky sumptuousness.
Ingredients (feeds 2):
2 pounds baby green beans (you can opt for mature beans, but I prefer them beans skinny)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup water
Salt to taste
1) Heat butter and olive oil until it shimmers.
2) Add garlic and fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3) Add green beans and fry, about 2 minutes. The garlic will turn golden during this time, for a bolder crunch.
4) Add 1/2 cup water for beans to cook through and water evaporates, about 4-5 minutes.
5) Sprinkle lemon zest and toss through.
6) Salt to taste before serving.
- add a tbsp pinenuts for extra crunch just before serving
- fry up a couple strips of streaky bacon until crisp, remove but leave the bacon grease to flavour the beans (reduce quantity of oil accordingly) and sprinkle bacon cubes over the beans just before serving