This is a dish that'll impress dinner guests that looks a lot more intricate than it really is. Comforting chicken broth is given brightness by lemon zest, resulting in a light and refreshing soup that's good to the last drop.
Ingredients (feeds 2-3):
5 chicken thighs
1 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved down the middle and sliced to 2" lengths
1/5 cup fresh thyme, with additional sprigs for garnishing
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1) Fry chicken in oil and butter at high heat, salting evenly on both sides until it appears golden brown (no need to cook through). Remove and set aside.
2) Add leeks, cook about 1 minute until soft.
3) Add thyme, fry for a minute till fragrant.
4) Add wine to deglaze the pan. Add stock and zest.
5) Return chicken to pan to cook through at high heat for 35-40 minutes.
Check the pan intermittently to ensure the sauce doesn't dry up, adding
water if necessary.
6) Add lemon juice and a couple more thyme sprigs, stir through for a
minute at low heat, just before serving with fresh thyme sprigs and