Jumbo Seafood Restaurant, The Riverwalk

You know the one thing about my name is that most people get it wrong. The BF and I once went to Krabi and the hotel staff called us by each others' names! Granted, I don't have a very common name, but I knew of at least 3 girls in law school also with the same name during my time, so it can't possibly be that rare.

The same thing happened during the May L.A. Dinner held at Jumbo Seafood Restaurant at The Riverwalk. Beeps helped me make a reservation for a private room, and Jumbo called me to reconfirm the reservation. Both our voices are unmistakably feminine. Mine's especially distinctively high and squeaky (I've actually heard myself on tape, and I really do sound like a cartoon character high on helium). But when we all walked into Jumbo, the private room was labeled "MR B". ALL my colleagues had a very good chuckle when they walked into Jumbo. Great friends that they are huh?

Dinner was a leisurely affair peppered with laughs and easy conversation spanning almost 3 hours. This is one of the reasons why I prefer L.A. Dinners to Lunches, because the meal is a much more relaxed affair, without the constant watch on our time to ensure we get back to the office on time. We also don't have to worry about struggling to stay awake in the afternoon on an incredibly full tummy.

Unlike many of the other seafood establishments, Jumbo offers only 4 different crab flavours, black pepper, chili, pepper & spiced salt and steamed with soya milk and egg white. For those who love the creamy red roe of female crabs, please note that Jumbo only serves male crabs. 

Jumbo does a very good rendition of Black Pepper Crabs ($40 per kg). This was dry-fried. I love the subtly sweet flesh of the fresh crab and the slow heat and fragrance of black pepper. Jumbo does one of the best renditions of this style of black pepper crabs.


For variety, we also got Chili Crabs ($40 per kg). The thick, goopy, spicy, eggalicious gravy was wonderful with fried buns.


Yve just got well so I ordered something light for her, Steamed Seabass with Soya Sauce ($4.50 per 100g). The fish was fresh and flaky, just the way I like it.


We also ordered one of Jumbo's specialties, Herbal Drunken Prawns ($6.50 per 100g). I love the sweet prawns, and the strong herbal flavours of the alcohol-tinged soup.


Some of the girls tried to convince the guys to deshell the prawns for them because they hate peeling the shellfish. Unfortunately for them, the guys didn't bite. I had no problem deshelling prawns so I ended up eating most of the girls' share. Yay, more prawns for me!


Some of colleagues love Wok-Fried Golden Salted Egg Prawns ($40 for large), so I ordered a portion of it as well. Deshelled for the girls' convenience, of course.


The Crispy Fried Baby Squid ($24 for large) was one of my colleagues' requests. This was nicely crisp and coated in a sticky sweet sauce.


The Stir-Fried Broccoli with Scallops ($40 for large) was well done. I loved the delicate and succulent scallops, and crunchy broccoli.


We also got the Stir-Fried Kangkong with Sambal ($16 for large). The sambal was kickass, aromatic and went very well with the kangkong.


The Mee Goreng ($18 for medium), was cooked Chinese-style. Sweet tomato sauce was added to the lightly spicy egg noodles with fresh and plentiful seafood.


The Fried Rice with Salted Fish and Chicken ($12 for medium) was well fried, with the requisite "wok hei" flavour.


Service was surprisingly fast that night. The first dish arrived barely 15 minutes after orders were taken.


Jumbo Seafood Restaurant
The Riverwalk
20 Upper Circular Road #B1-48
The Riverwalk Singapore 058416
Tel: 6534-3435
Open daily for lunch from 12noon to 2.30pm
Dinner from 6pm to 12midnight
Website: www.jumboseafood.com.sg/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Tian Tian Seafood Restaurant