Red Pig Original Charcoal Korean Restaurant

I brought Ms Liang for lunch here after he complained that he was sick of the hawker food at Amoy Street. Hey, for the record, I was the one who wanted to have cheap hawker food. Only after Ms Liang objected to my hawker food suggestion, did I bring him to Red Pig for some Korean food. In any case, their lunches are a steal at only $10 a set. So you get the comfort of air-conditioning and the cheapo deals available at hawker centres both at the same place.


Maybe the head chef wasn't in, or maybe the restaurant was overwhelmingly understaffed, but the banchan wasn't up to par that day. For example, the spinach was a little too tangy.


The Anchovies didn't have the characteristic intense flavours and they were limpid, too soft.


The Chilled Tofu was still good though, clear and refreshingly light.


The Kimchi was also sub par that day, not spicy, fresh or sour enough.


This was piquant but I didn't really take to the taste or its mashy texture.


The Pickled Potatoes were also not bad, softened just right, with some crunch, and spiced lightly with a little soy for flavour.


The Chicken BBQ Set ($10) wasn't too bad, spicy, tender and generous, great with steaming hot rice.


The Haemul Sundubu Jjigae ($10) seafood tofu stew, was also below standard that day, the stew wasn't as rich as usual with its distinctively shellfish-based stock base, it was very thin and watered down.




Red Pig Original Charcoal Korean Restaurant
93 Amoy Street
Tel: 6220 7176 / 9230 0765
Open Mondays to Fridays from 12 noon to 2.30pm for lunch and 5pm to 11.30pm for dinner; weekends and public holidays from 5pm to 10pm

Comments

Anonymous said…
Halo Miss Bunny

I is happy to see you showing Korae food agains here. Haf you come to Korae yet? My broter and his friens went to Sigapore last month to see Eric Klapton show and he said Korae food is bad there. He like Sigapore food a lot. My fater was very angry he go Sigapore without telling him. Lucky my broter came back in time for fater's birthday.

Jong Un
Bern said…
Hi Jong Un!

I'm actually heading to Seoul in May 2011. Do you have any other food recommendations?

Tell your brother that he should go to Hyang-To-Gol at Amara Hotel the next time he's in Singapore, the Korean food there is really good. My Korean friends think that it's the best place to get Korean food in Singapore.
Anonymous said…
Halo Miss Bunny

Sorry, I no have any more place to recomendations because you no like doggie and then also my fater say we all must stay at home now and i cannot go and eat outside. 10 years ago my other broter was caught trying to go disney land in tokio. and my fater is very angry last time also. i no go any where but now have to stay home. maybe i will get to come out soon and i will let you knoe.

Jong Un.

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang