This Breakfast Fry-Up is like a hash, except it does away with the carbs. Loaded with sausage and mushrooms and peppers, this is seasoned with fresh basil for a sweet and crisp finish.
Ingredients (feeds 4 pax):
5 links large sausage, casings removed and diced to 1" cubes (I use the Johnsonville beer brats which you can usually find in Meidi-ya or the Cold Storage at Great World City)
20 large white button mushrooms, sliced or diced any way you like
1 small red pepper, diced to 1cm-square cubes
1 small yellow pepper, diced to 1cm-square cubes
1 medium yellow onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups unpacked fresh basil, sliced into strips or torn roughly
2 tbsp olive oil
1) Dry-fry mushrooms in non-stick pan, until water released and mostly evaporated. Set aside.
2) Fry onions in olive oil
3) Add garlic and fry till fragrant.
3) Add peppers and fry till softened.
4) Return mushrooms to pan, and toss.
5) Add sausage and fry till cooked through.
6) Add fresh basil, tossing through.
7) Make holes in the hash, break the eggs into the pan and leave eggs to cook until the whites are just set, about 5 minutes. Dish up with an egg apportioned per pax.