Instead of cooking a green bean casserole, a quintessential Christmas side dish, I thought I'd mix it up by sauteing green beans, and topping it with oodles of mushrooms and lashings of fried shallots. Similar flavours, but with a much more delightful crunch.
Ingredients (feeds 4):
1 kg fine green beans (also called fine French beans), ends trimmed
500 gm white button mushrooms, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup fried shallots
4 tbsp olive oil
1) Fry mushrooms in 2 tbsp olive oil, salting to taste, until water released is completely evaporated. Set aside.
2) Blanch green beans in heavily salted water for 5 minutes. Drain into ice-bath and set aside.
3) Fry onions in 2 tbsp olive oil until translucent, about 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
4) Add thyme and garlic, and fry till fragrant, about 1 minute.
5) Add mushrooms, and toss.
6) Add green beans and lemon juice to reheat and toss through.
7) Salt to taste and serve with lashings of fried shallots.