This is yet another no-fuss appetizer that I actually whipped up in minutes when a couple of guests came over to hang out. They needed to kill time before heading to a wedding in town, and I thought I'd feed them a little; tide them over until the wedding dinner, seeing as local Chinese wedding dinners start real late.
Zucchini, cut to 1cm-thick (plan for 1 zucchini to serve 2-3 persons as an amuse bouche)
Half cup breadcrumbs
Half cup freshly grated Parmesan (pair 1-part breadcrumbs to 1-part Parmesan)
4 tbsp olive oil (I mix this with some of my chicken fat to lend a subtle richness)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste (can use white or pre-ground pepper as a viable alternative)
1) Heat oven to 230 degrees celsius. Mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl. Put the olive oil in a separate bowl.
2) Dip the zucchini in olive oil.
3) Then coat them evenly in the breadcrumb-Parmesan mixture.
4) Spread them out evenly on a baking tray.
4) Pop them into the oven for 15 minutes, taking them out to turn them over before popping them back in for another 5 minutes, until both sides achieve a golden brown hue. Serve piping hot.