Haagen Dazs, Holland Village

Haagen Dazs will always have a special place in my heart. The European-sounding-but-actually-American brand kickstarted my love affair with everything sweet and icy. On this note, you will not believe the amount of sweet stuff I ate growing up. I basically grew up on a diet of lollys, popsicles, gummies, and of course, ice-cream. This sweet streak was only intermittently broken by "real food" such as roti prata and fried chicken wings. Oh yes, living with indulgent grandparents and self-automated waterworks will get you ANYTHING you want. And you know what, the best part of my childhood was that birthdays were celebrated over the obligatory Haagen Dazs ice-cream cake. So even if I've got a lot more choice in ice-cream now compared to the 80's, I'll always return, every once a while, to my first love: a good ol' tub of Haagen Dazs.

Holland Village's Haagen Dazs is, based on my limited knowledge of local history, the republic's first outlet. My family used to pop by here for post-dinner desserts. Until an outlet opened in Thomson Plaza. While some of the eateries in Holland Village have changed more hands than Taylor Swift changes boyfriends (p.s. no offense to Swifties...I love her songs!), this dessert cafe is such a long-standing tenant of Holland Village it's practically an institutional icon. Like before the invention of mobile phones, I would tell my friends to meet me at places in Holland Village by using Haagen Dazs as a reference point. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did this, right??? I recently returned here when the Hubs and I were hit by a late-night craving for ice-cream. It's amazing how many other people have got the late-night munchies as well. The evidently popular cafe was still packed at midnight!

We shared the 3-Scoop Waffle Bowl ($13.50) with Cappuccino Truffle (top), Tiramisu (right) and Strawberry Cheesecake (left) and loved them all. But if push comes to shove, my favourite would still be the strawberry cheesecake, it's pretty much a frozen version of an actual strawberry cheesecake.




Haagen Dazs
21 Lorong Mambong
Tel: 6468 9474
Open Sundays to Thursdays from 12noon to 12midnight
Fridays and Saturdays from 12noon to 1am

Comments

Anonymous said…
I first foung out they were only pseud0-american quite a few years ago, and my mind was blown.

the belgian chocolate here is always fantastic!
Bern said…
yeah with a name like that, who'd expect it to be american right?

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang