This is a variation of the Chicken Cacciatore, but with sundried tomato pesto for a piquant twist.
Ingredients (feeds 8):
8 pieces chicken thigh (budget 1 pc per pax)
1 large yellow onion, diced to 1cm cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
600gm white button mushrooms, sliced thickly
2 carrots, sliced thinly
2 peppers, diced to 1" cubes
1 zucchini, diced to 1" cubes
5 cups pasta sauce
3 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp tomato puree
4 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
3 tbsp olive oil for frying
Optional: 4 tbsp green pesto
1) Sear chicken, salting liberally on both sides, till browned, about 10 minutes. Work in batches if necessary, to avoid overcrowding. I browned mine in 2 batches. Set aside in a pot.
2) Fry onions and garlic in preheated pan with olive oil till fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
3) Add carrots and fry for another 2 minutes.
4) Add mushrooms, frying till water released is almost fully reduced.
5) Transfer the vegetable saute to the browned chicken.
6) Add the pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and puree, and pesto. Add 1 cup water.
7) Bring to a boil, before lowering to a slow simmer for 1 hour. Add peppers and zucchini in the last 15 minutes to cook through.
8) Salt to taste before serving.