Sausage Tortellini Soup is a rustic Tuscan-styled hearty soup that's so choc-a-bloc with ingredients it easily makes a meal in itself.
Ingredients (feeds 4-5 pax):
5 links spicy Italian sausage, casings removed and diced into bite-sized cubes
1 large yellow onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, diced to 1cm cubes
2 medium green zucchini, diced to 1cm cubes
1 regular can diced stewed tomatoes
100 gm baby spinach
250gm ricotta spinach tortellini
6 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
1) Fry sausage in olive oil till cooked through, about 7 minutes on medium high heat. Set aside.
2) Using 2 tbsp of the sausage oil-infused olive oil, fry onions till softened, about 2 minute.
3) Add garlic, and fry till fragrant, about 1 minute.
4) Add carrots, fry about 2 minutes.
5) Add tomatoes, stirring through.
6) Add stock and dried thyme, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
7) Add tortellini.
8) 3 minutes later, add zucchini.
9) 3 minutes later, add spinach, stirring through. It'll wilt and cook through really fast.
10) Return sausage to pot just before serving (be sure to add the sausage only just before serving, otherwise the flavours of the sausage will leech into the soup, leaving the sausage tasteless), and salt to taste if necessary.