Jaeyuk Bokkeum, or dwaejojigogi bokkeum, is a spicy pork belly stir fry with onions and carrots, and usually served sizzling on a hot-plate and coupled with fresh lettuce cups. This is a modern version, using pork loin instead of the belly, added mushrooms, and with the lettuce fried into the dish for a one-bowl meal.
Ingredients (feeds 4):
1 small head of lettuce, chopped roughly
1 carrot, julienned
1 can mushrooms, sliced
300 gm kurobuta pork loin, sliced into chips and marinated with recipe below
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp gochujang
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped finely, for garnishing
white sesame seeds for garnishing
Pork marinade (marinate at least 4 hours, or overnight if best):
4 tbsp gochujang
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 medium yellow onion, minced (approx 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tbsp mirin
2 tsp gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
2 tbsp guk kanjang (Korean soy sauce)
1) Fry garlic in canola and sesame oil.
2) Add carrots, fry till softened, about 2 minutes on medium-high heat.
3) Add mushrooms, toss through.
4) Add gochujang, stirring through.
5) Add pork, and fry till cooked through and no longer pink.
6) Add lettuce, and cook through till fully wilted. The lettuce will release some water, but that's ok.
7) Salt to taste if necessary, and serve garnished with chives and sesame seeds.