I'd leftover cherry tomatoes and sundried tomatoes from last week's fusilli, and thought I'd mix it up with some shrimp, and set it against a base of risotto using the bottles of shrimp stock in my freezer. Shrimp stock can be a little heavy, so I lightened it up with some chicken stock, and threw in a packet of rocket leaves to lend a mild peppery heat.
Ingredients (feeds 4-6):
2 cups arborio or canaroli rice
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, minced
1 cup dry white wine (I'm partial to chardonnay)
4-6 cups shrimp stock
2-4 cups chicken stock
200 gm shrimp, deshelled, deveined and given the alkali treatment
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, minced
1 cup red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cups unpacked arugula
1 cup parmesan, grated
Salt to taste
Optional: 1 tbsp lemon juice, lemon zest of 1 lemon to finish if shrimp stock too heavy
1) Fry onions in pre-heated melted butter until soft and transluscent, about 2 minutes on medium-high heat.
2) Add risotto and fry till toasty, about 1 minute.
3) Add wine, and stir until almost all absorbed, then add 1 cup stock (or enough stock to cover the rice), and stir until liquid all absorbed. Repeat 2-3 more times. Salt lightly. Salt every few steps, as you go along, to build the flavours gradually.
4) In the meantime, fry prawns with sundried tomatoes in olive oil until cooked through and toasty.
5) Turn down heat to very low, add parmesan and stir through until creamy.
6) Add arugula and whip through till wilted.
7) Turn off heat and add cherry tomatoes, tossing through. Top liberally with sundried tomatoes and prawns when serving.
Optional: For the seafood-averse, swop out the prawns with sausage. Remove casings, dice them up and fry 'em up lightly, taking care not to dry them out.