Cauliflower soup is one of my all-time favourite soups. The blended soup is mellow, comforting and fortifying. To spice things up, I've added a little curry powder to the soup. The curry powder lends a mild heat to the soup that elevates the sweetness of the cauliflower.
Ingredients (feeds 4-6):
12 cups cauliflower florets
1 potato, diced
2 tbsp butter
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
4-5 cups vegetable stock
1) Toss about 2 cups of florets with salt and olive oil. Roast cauliflower at 200C for 25 minutes till golden brown. Set aside, these will be used as toppings.
2) Melt butter in pan.
3) Add onions, and fry till transluscent, about 2 minutes on medium-high heat.
4) Add curry powder and cumin, and fry till toasty, about 1 minute.
5) Add cauliflower and potato, and fry till slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
6) Add vegetable broth, bring to boil, and simmer till cauliflower is soft and mushy, about 7 minutes.
7) Transfer to a pot, and blend into a puree.
8) Salt to taste and serve with sprinkling of roasted cauliflower.