Finest Song Kee Fishball Noodles

Every once a while, I get a craving for a particular hawker food.

There was that one time, when I was crazy about chicken rice, and so I ate chicken rice for an entire month. And then there was that one time, where I went nuts over laksa, and had that for like three weeks. And there was that other time, when I was completely addicted to wanton mee, and so became a daily fixture at Eng's wantan noodles for two weeks straight. Bonkers, I know...I only stopped because I ended up with a bout of stomach flu.

So recently, I got erm, well...a little obsessed with fishball noodles. And we thought of hitting up Song Kee, which arguably serves up the best fishball noodles and fish dumplings in all of Singapore. But because we were too famished to drive all the way to its new locale in the East, we went to Finest Song Kee instead, a set-up by a relation of the original Song Kee, and which took over the old coffeeshop premises of the latter when it moved out to the East.

And while it's no contest to the magic that is Song Kee, it was a rather worthwhile band-aid as getting to Tembeling Road in Joo Chiat was quite a pain in the butt.

The Fishball Dry Mee Pok ($6.50 for medium) had that homestyled, old-school flavour; the noodles were springy, slicked in a punchy chilli mix. The fishballs were bouncy and tasty,  and I liked the generous addition of mince pork, which was fresh and light.

Some people see fishball noodle soup as "sick people food" but it's my "happy food", and the Fishball Soup Kway Teow ($6.50 for medium) was superb, I loved the silky smooth rice noodles and the delicate broth. One thing I didn't fancy though, was the coriander leaf-laced chilli fishballs and stuffed beancurd puffs.

The Fish Dumpling Soup ($8.50 for large), topped with lashings of fried lard nuggets, was excellent. The fish dumplings were a comparatively close match to the original Song Kee, plump and juicy.


Finest SongKee's Cuisine Fishball Noodles
532 Upper Serangoon Road
Tel: 8838 3532
Open Wednesdays to Mondays from 11am to 2am;
Tuesdays from 11am to 2.30pm; 6pm to 2am

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang

ABC Brickworks Food Centre