This is an incredibly delicate stew, light with fresh leek and pesto, and choc-a-bloc with vegetables galore.
Ingredients (feeds 4-6 pax):
8 chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in (apportion 1-2 per pax)
1 large yellow onion, minced
1 head garlic, minced
2 cups leeks, only light green portion, sliced finely
4 cups white wine
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups petit pois (baby green peas)
2 cups skinny green beans, cut to 2" lengths
15 stalks fresh thyme, tied together with butcher's twine
8 tbsp pesto (apportion 1 tbsp pesto per serving)
8 tbsp grated parmesan (apportion 1 tbsp cheese per serving)
1 tbsp olive oil
1) Brown chicken on medium-high heat with olive oil, about 4 minutes each side, taking care not to overcrowd the pan, and salting liberally.
2) Set aside browned chicken in soup pot.
3) Taking 2 tbsp of chicken fat-infused olive oil, fry onions on medium-high heat till translucent, about 2 minutes.
4) Add leek, fry about 1 minute.
5) Add garlic, tossing through and fry about 1 minute.
6) Add white wine, reduce by half.
7) Transfer to soup pot with browned chicken, add chicken stock and thyme. Bring to a boil, and lower to a simmer for at least 35 minutes, or until desired tenderness.
8) 15 minutes before serving, add peas.
9) 5 minutes before serving, add green beans.
10) Serve with a tbsp of pesto and a tbsp of parmesan dolloped over each bowl.