This is an easy-peasy dish that uses leek and fresh thyme to lighten the pungency of gorgonzola and contrast against heavy cream. The sweetness of sweet potatoes make a wonderful complement to stinky blue cheese.
Ingredients (feeds 4-6 pax):
1kg sweet potatoes, diced into 1cm cubes
2 tbsp butter
2 leeks, pale green parts only, minced
1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
1.5 cups gorgonzola
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups toasted walnuts, unsalted
1) Coat sweet potatoes liberally with salt and olive oil, and roast in pre-heated oven at 200C for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2) Saute leeks in melted butter with thyme, 1 minute.
3) Crumble gorgonzola and melt into cream swirled into the mixture.
4) Assembly time: pour the leek-thyme-gorgonzola cream mixture over the semi-roasted sweet potatoes.
5) Crumble walnuts all over. Roast at 170C for 20-25 minutes until cheese bubbling or until walnuts are browned and toasty.
6) Serve with a liberal sprinkling of freshly milled pepper.