This is an easy but delicious all-in-1 casserole that's perfect for weeknights. Everything can be prepped beforehand, and assembled when needed.
Ingredients (feeds 4-6 pax):
300 gm white button mushrooms (approx 15 large mushrooms), sliced
5 strips streaky bacon
300 gm baby spinach
3 cups small shaped pasta (I used farfalle here), boil in salted water for about 3 minutes. Add pas
4 cups marinara/tomato pasta sauce
4 tbsp cream (1 tbsp cream for every cup of pasta sauce)
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1) Fry the bacon till reddish-pink but not crisp. If using a non-stick pan, there's no need to use oil, the bacon will render its own oil anyway. Drain, cut into 1-cm cubes, and reserve.
2) Using 2 tbsp of the bacon grease, fry the mushrooms till cooked through.
3) Add spinach and fry till wilted.
4) Add marinara sauce, stirring through.
5) Add cream, stir through.
6) Add grated parmesan, stirring through.
7) Add slightly softened pasta, toss through.
8) Time to assemble the casserole! On the bottom layer, spread a generous layer of the farfalle-mushroom-spinach mix.
9) Alternate with layer of crumbed ricotta and diced bacon.
10) Repeat twice,
so you end up with 3 layers of each. Top with shredded mozzarella.
11) Because everything's pre-cooked, bake uncovered for 15 mins at
190 Celsius or until the cheese is browned. Rest about 5 minutes before serving.