This is yet another low-fuss, weekday dinner that can be prepped well beforehand. Here, juicy zucchini and creamy ricotta take centrestage in this vegetarian dish.
Ingredients (makes a 5-layered lasagna tray 12" x 8" and feeds approx 6):
250gm lasagna noodles (I used the instant, no-boil variety, 20 sheets of 7" x 3.5")
500gm mushrooms (I used a mix of portobello, swiss browns and white buttons), sliced to 3mm thick
150gm mozzarella, grated
4 cups marinara sauce (about 1 cup per layer)
2 zucchini, sliced thinly into 1mm-thick circles
1 medium yellow onion, minced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
Salt to taste
1) Melt butter on heated pan, about 30 seconds.
2) Fry onions and garlic till fragrant and translucent, about 1 minute.
3) Add mushrooms and fry till water evaporated, about 5 minutes.
4) Add most of the marinara sauce, reserving about 5 tbsp for use later, and toss it all over the mushroom saute, about 30 seconds. Salt to taste.
5) Time to assemble the lasagne! First, pre-heat the oven to 350F. With the remaining 5 tbsp of marinara sauce, schmear a layer of sauce on the bottom of the baking tray. Layer 1 row of lasagne sheets, it's okay to overlap the noodles a little. Followed by a layer of crumbed ricotta, then zucchini.
6) Layer another row of lasagne sheets, and top up with a generous blanket of mushroom-tomato sauce.
7) Repeat process with layering lasagne sheets, ricotta, zucchini, lasagne sheets, mushroom-tomato sauce, in that order, finishing with a top layer of lasagne sheets, sauce and grated mozzarella.
8) Pop into oven to bake at 350F for 25 minutes, covered with foil, and then another 25 minutes uncovered until top layer is golden brown. If not eating right away, don't take off the foil, but take the tray out
from the oven and store in freezer for use up to a week. To eat,
defrost it in the morning before you go to work by transferring it to
the fridge, and when you get home, heat it up for about 10 minutes at
190 Celsius covered with foil, and 15 minutes uncovered.
9) Rest for 5 minutes before serving.