Ingredients (makes a 5-layered lasagna tray 12" x 8" and feeds approx 6):
1 large head (1kg) cauliflower, cut into 1" cube florets
4 tbsp unsalted butter
6 tbsp plain flour
2 cups milk (adjusted to room temp)
2 cups cream (adjusted to room temp)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated parmesan
1 cup grated gruyere
1/2 cup grated cheddar (mozzarella is fine in a pinch)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1) Blanch cauliflower in salted boiling water, about 5 minutes.
2) Drain and set aside. It should be still firm.
3) Melt butter in pan.
4) Turn down heat to very low, and whisk in flour.
5) Whisk in milk and cream, till softly bubbling.
6) Whisk in 1 cup gruyere and 1 cup parmesan till smooth and thick.
7) Add dash of pepper, pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and whisk.
8) Pre-heat oven to 200 degree celsius with fan on. If without fan, 220 degree celsius. Spread about 4 tbsp sauce onto a 12" x 8" baking dish.
9) Place cauliflower on top.
10) Pour remainder of sauce all over the cauliflower.
11) Top off with a layer of 1/2 cup grated cheddar and breadcrumbs. Pop in for about 15 minutes until browned.
12) Rest for 5 minutes before serving.