Ingredients (feeds 8):
1.2 kg cauliflower, cut roughly into bite-sized florets
200 gm full cream
1 large russet potato, cut into 1" dice
1 large onion, diced roughly
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1 L chicken or vegetable stock if catering to vegetarians (reduce this if you prefer a thicker, pureed consistency)
Optional for garnishing, 8 strips streaky bacon, grilled till crisp and cut into 1 cm cubes and/or grated parmesan
1) Melt butter and olive oil until it sizzles.
2) Add onions and sweat until translucent, about 2 minutes.
3) Add cauliflower and fry, covered, until softened, about 5 minutes.
4) Add potatoes and fry, covered, until softened but not mushy, about another 5 minutes. Add half the stock, and bring to boil.
5) Transfer everything into a blender and blend until smooth, or as chunky as you like if you so prefer. Transfer it back into a pot, and stir in remainder of the stock.
6) Swirl in cream just before serving. Serve garnished with a sprinkling of parmesan and bacon crisps