Sushi Mitsuya

Have I said before that how much I love my foodie friends? If not for A1 and A2, I'd never have known about Sushi Mitsuya, a hole-in-the-wall Japanese setup so boutique it's got a capacity of just under 25 diners. The zenned-out, pinewood-ed galley restaurant is flush with a serene tranquility, and diners converse in hushed tones. A tip is to sit at the chef's table, where you get front row seats to all the action. And attention from the big boss himself.

As we were seated up front, we were served personally by the affable head Chef Harada, who explained every course (in his heavily accented English...I'm embarrassed to admit that I had to ask him to repeat himself several times just so I could take notes of what I'd ingested) and allowed us time to savour every mouthful. I'd noticed that he'd wait for me to chomp down each sushi before serving the next one.

Sushi Mitsuya offers just 3 sets for lunch (there's no ala carte menu here, for lunch or dinner), which may seem a little constrained, but the food was so sublime, the lack of choice didn't bother me one bit. I got the Ichie Set ($60) which comprised a duo of appetizers, 8 piece sushi medley, makimono, soup and dessert, all dictated by the season's finest and the chef's inclinations. I'm never as adventurous as I am at high-end Japanese restaurants, but I was well-rewarded for trusting my palate with the chef. Every course was just dreamy and memorably so. 

You can bet your last dollar I'll be back, with the Hubs in tow. He'd been very sore about missing out on this!

We started off with a duo of amuse bouche, the first being Persimmon, Spinach and Fried Gluten married beautifully in a pool of walnut sauce.

The Scallops, Garland Chrysanthemum and Honshimeiji was kept light and crisp in a vinegar tofu sauce.

While the sushi variants weren't particularly luxurious, the chef's treatment of each seafood was first-rate. Every sushi was so well-balanced and seasoned, I didn't need additional soy dips. First up was Surf Crab, firm and clear, simply brushed with a sweet-ish soy to complement the natural flavour of the seafood.

The next was Sea Whelk, similarly given a light coat of soy and topped with a dollop of grated ginger to counteract its umami tendencies.

The White Baby Shrimp was one of my favourites, so gloriously sweet and moist.

Another fave, the King Mackerel was aburi-ed to give its skin a crisp contrast, and there was a pike mackerel, that, in my haste, had gobbled it up before taking a picture of...oops!

The Lean Tuna was sparkling fresh, meaty and scrumptious.

Also aburi-ed for a juxaposition of textures, the Seabass was also excellent.

The Asari Clams were incredibly juicy and bursting with the salty essence of the sea.

The Sea Eel was burnished with a creamy wafu-like dressing, enhancing its sweetness.

The Maki Gourd was a superb palate cleanser, with its crisp clean taste.

The other Makimono, this had a delightfully crunchy mouthfeel.

The last savoury course was a Seaweed Soup, liberally laced with shredded vegetables for extra oomph.

For dessert, we had a refreshing Seaweed Jelly with Muscat and Mango, so nuanced and light.

The Bara Chirashi Set ($50) is the cheapest option for lunch, but it's no slouch. The humongous bowl was brimming with a melange of seafood, sparkling fresh and a riot of sumptuous colours, and it's paired with the same couple of appetizers, soup and dessert.


Sushi Mitsuya
60 Tras Street #01-01
Tel: 6438 2608
Open Mondays to Saturdays from 12noon to 3pm for lunch; 6pm to 11pm for dinner;
Closed on Sundays
Website: www.sushimitsuya.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang

ABC Brickworks Food Centre