Kaya French Toast

Regular readers will note that I always make fun of the Hubs' cooking skills, or lack thereof, but surprise surprise, he's apparently got reasonably commendable, and extremely well-hidden, cooking chops! I'd woken up one weekend afternoon to loud clangs in the kitchen, and found the Hubs busy trying to whip up kaya french toast. As usual, his rudimentary handling of the utensils irked me so much that I tried to take over (he was whisking the egg mixture with a fork when we had a proper whisk, and making lumps of the spices, the horror!), but he'd actually kicked me out. Yes, I got kicked out of my own kitchen!

As it turned out, he did pretty well. No fires unwittingly set, the kitchen was left in the same spotless shape it'd been in before the Hubs started cooking, and the toast was, objectively, good. I probably can't be in the kitchen with him whenever he cooks, because the compulsive control freak in me would likely attempt a hostile takeover, but it's really cool that he can actually cook!


Ingredients (makes 4 toasts):
4 slices bread (brioche for best results or plain white bread)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1 tbsp honey (you can substitute this for sugar, but I like honey for its fuller body)
1/8 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 knob butter
1/4 cup kaya (we love the Chin Mee Chin one)


Directions:
1) Put the eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and vanilla extract into a bowl, and whisk it with milk until homogenous.



2) Melt butter in flat pan over medium heat until bubbly.

3) Dip the bread and coat it evenly on both sides.

4) Fry on medium heat, about 2 minutes before flipping over.

5) After flipping, fry for another 2 minutes, for a toasty golden caramelisation

6) Serve, sliced into strips, plain on its own or with liberal lashings of kaya.


Comments

Pris said…
That's such a cool idea to have kaya on french toast! Unfortunately Sammy's Kindergarten doesn't allow any sweet food (any spread on bread)! So I'm gonna have to crack my brains on what to make for him! THUMBS up to D. for being a great chef!

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang