As it turned out, he did pretty well. No fires unwittingly set, the kitchen was left in the same spotless shape it'd been in before the Hubs started cooking, and the toast was, objectively, good. I probably can't be in the kitchen with him whenever he cooks, because the compulsive control freak in me would likely attempt a hostile takeover, but it's really cool that he can actually cook!
Ingredients (makes 4 toasts):
4 slices bread (brioche for best results or plain white bread)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1 tbsp honey (you can substitute this for sugar, but I like honey for its fuller body)
1/8 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 knob butter
1/4 cup kaya (we love the Chin Mee Chin one)
1) Put the eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and vanilla extract into a bowl, and whisk it with milk until homogenous.
2) Melt butter in flat pan over medium heat until bubbly.
3) Dip the bread and coat it evenly on both sides.
4) Fry on medium heat, about 2 minutes before flipping over.
5) After flipping, fry for another 2 minutes, for a toasty golden caramelisation
6) Serve, sliced into strips, plain on its own or with liberal lashings of kaya.