A little note about this recipe: The Hubs found the sour cream a tad overpowering, and consequently disliked this, but I thought the sour cream gave this a refreshing lift, and kept the cheesy mash from cloying. So if you're not a fan of sour cream, you should swop it out with regular cream instead.
1.35kg (3 pounds) potatoes (this is about 8 large russets), peeled
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 cups grated Cheddar
3/4 cup sour cream (if you don't like the sour accents, swop this out with regular cream)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
Pinch cayenne pepper for a sweetened heat
Directions (feeds 4-6):
1) Boil potatoes in a pot with water that's liberally salted, together with the smashed garlic, until potatoes are fork-tender.
2) Drain potatoes of water and discard the garlic.
3) Add sour cream, milk and cheddar to the potatoes and mash them roughly.
4) Transfer to a baking dish. In the meantime, heat oven to 176 degrees celsius.
5) Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and cayenne in a mixing bowl.
6) Top the baking dish with the breadcrumb-parmesan mixture, and pop into oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.