You may have noticed that I've been cooking a lot of lasagna recently. I'd accidentally over-budgeted and bought waaaaay too much lasagna (seriously, my pantry looks like an Italian mama shop), so I've had to think of a million new ways to cook lasagna. This is yet another lasagne variant, slathered in a bechamel-marinara sauce, and heaped with oodles of juicy diced sausage.
Ingredients (makes a 5-layered lasagna tray 12" x 8" and feeds approx 6-8):
250gm lasagna noodles (I used the instant, no-boil variety, 20 sheets of 7" x 3.5")
2 cups marinara sauce
8 large sausages, casings removed, diced to 1cm cubes (I used the spicy chorizo and beddar cheddar Johnsonville varieties)
1 cup grated cheddar (I used a mix of colby, sharp and mild cheddar)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup milk
Salt to taste
1) To make the bechamel, boil milk in 1 pot.
2) In a separate pot, melt the butter until shimmery.
3) Turn fire to very low, add in flour and whisk till smooth. Turn off heat, add in hot milk and whisk till smooth. Set aside for use when assembling lasagna.
4) Fry sausages till just cooked. Set aside and reserve for assembling lasagna.
5) Start assembling the lasagna. First schmear 6 tbsp marinara sauce at bottom of baking tray.
6) Layer with 1 row of lasagna noodles, it's okay to overlap the noodles a little.
7) Layer with 3 tbsp marinara sauce, 3 tbsp bechamel, 1/3 of the sausages and grated cheddar.
8) Repeat steps 6 and 7 twice, and finish at the top with lasagna noodles, 6 tbsp marinara sauce and grated mozzarella. Bake at 180C for 25 minutes, covered with foil, and
then another 25 minutes uncovered at 170C until top layer is golden brown.
9) Rest 5 minutes out of the oven before serving.
If not eating right away, don't take off the foil, but take the tray out
from the oven and store in freezer for use up to a week. To eat,
defrost it in the morning before you go to work by transferring it to
the fridge, and when you get home, heat it up for about 10 minutes at
190 Celsius covered with foil, and 15 minutes uncovered.