A classic Taiwanese dish that's a myriad of spicy, sweet and savoury flavours, san1 bei1 ji1 is an easy-peasy dish that's quick to whip up. It utilises equal proportions of sesame oil, Chinese shaoxing wine and light soy for seasoning, so if you'd like more gravy, feel free to increase the sizing thereof.
Ingredients (serves 2-4):
1 kg whole chicken, cut into pieces
10 dried chillis
15 cloves garlic
1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced thickly
1/3 cup shao xing wine
1/3 cup light soy
1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp thick dark soy (for colouring, but feel free to leave out)
1/3 cup water
1 cup Thai basil
1) Fry garlic and ginger in sesame oil on medium-low heat until golden brown and super fragrant, about 10 minutes.
2) Add chilli and fry till toasty, about 3 minutes.
3) Add chicken and fry until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
4) Add wine, soy, sugar, dark soy, water, and toss through. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer, covered, for 40 minutes till cooked through. Check at 15-minute mark, and top up a little bit of water if necessary.
5) Turn off heat, and add basil. The residual heat will wilt it through.