Braised chicken is one of my favourite things to cook. It's quick and easy, and can be changed up a million ways. I chanced upon a beautiful head of Savoy cabbage, and took the opportunity to whip up a low-fuss braise with chicken.
Ingredients (feeds 4-6 pax):
8 chicken thighs
1 large yellow onion, minced
1 head garlic, minced
1 large head savoy cabbage, cut into thick 1" wide strips
14 strips streaky bacon
4 cups chicken stock
12 stalks fresh thyme, tied with butcher's twine
1) Brown and crisp bacon in a shallow pan of olive oil.
2) Set aside. Reserve 3 tbsp bacon-infused olive oil.
3) Brown chicken in bacon-flavoured olive oil, salting liberally and taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Set aside, and reserve 3 tbsp of bacon-and-chicken-fat-infused olive oil.
4) Fry onion in bacon-and-chicken-fat-infused olive oil, until transluscent.
5) Add garlic, and fry till fragrant.
6) Add cabbage and fry till just wilted.
7) Add stock.
8) Return chicken to pan, with bacon, and thyme bundle, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for at least 40 minutes.
9) 15 minutes before serving, add potatoes.
10) Salt to taste before serving.